Photobucket

Sunday, July 6, 2008

Modified Caprese Salad

I thank the Lord for this meal!!

The base of this recipe came from Giada DeLaurentis, but this is slightly different. She did not have lettuce in hers, but I wanted more of a salad


Modified caprese salad

Half a block of FRESH mozzarella (I like polly-o best) cut into half inch cubes
1 Can of diced tomatoes with garlic, oregano and basil (you can substitute fresh tomatoes of course, which is delicious, but then you will need to add basil to the dressing)
Lettuce

Dressing:
About a quarter cup of olive oil (I prefer classico to extra virgin)
Several tablespoons (to taste) of lemon juice
Several dashes of pepper (probably a half tsp)
About a half tsp salt

Toss the dressing in with the other ingredients and serve with garlic toast. This makes a wonderful, light, refreshing supper. I loved the canned tomatoes in there as the juice added greatly to the body of the salad. Nothing to heat up the kitchen except the toaster oven for the garlic toast (which I make with olive oil mixed with a bit of butter, and several shakes of garlic salt).

I have made the original (which is slices of mozz with slices of tomato, dressing, and fresh basil) but honestly it is NOT worth the time or the money to use grocery store tomatoes. Either garden (or farmers market) or canned is the way to go.

No comments: